[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:31:24 -0500

At 11:11 AM 3/29/2012, Roger wrote:
That what I did for different than scanner reasons. I returned the new computer with the 7 and bought another new with the XP. I thought that 7 was a monstrosity. I would have had to spend about $1,000 for new programs. Plus you don't get Outlo0kVista seemed to be total failure. I understand MS is working on the next version.

Roger

Guys, I'm going to sit back and look at all the options.

The dual boot option sounds great but it requires you to start with an XP machine and then add Windows 7. I have enough work into Windows 7, which has an HP reserved recovery partition, that I am not inclined to lose all that to install XP and then re-install 7. If you go the opposite route, just install XP and hope to get Windows 7 boot reinstalled, the options on the Internet are many and varied. I'm no longer a risk taker nor an early adapter. I could be when I had my company but now I'm out of that mode.

I don't plan to bring my old box back to life for several reasons, noise being one, size another, and the fact that as I was removing the old drives, one by one, to copy their content to my external backup drive, one of the power supply cables lost it's insulation on a sharp edge and burned up. I cut it off and the Power Supply still works, but I want that box out of my sight as soon as possible.

The logical approach is to make a spot in the office for the laptop and use it for XP stuff, including the scanner, etc.

I promise I will stop posting on this thread and really appreciate all the helpful comments.

Regards and thanks,

DAW