[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei List <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 21:33:09 -0700

The 9000F is an amazing bargain and is OK but certainly not great for film
scanning.  In the past I used one to make initial scans, and then used a
friend's Imacon to re-scan for printing.  Almost all the square Rollei images
posted on my Flickr site are initial 9000F scans.  At the 'low bar' of web-page
size & 72 ppi, you don't see much difference between it and Imacon.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thompsonkirk/
It did an OK job on 6x6, except that film flatness wasn't consistent and blue
skies could be mottled.  From 6x6 I could print pretty well at 10x10".
It didn't do as well on 35mm film strips – didn't seem to hold them in focus.
Never tried slides.
IMO it's 'good enough for government work,' as the saying goes.  More
specifically: definitely good enough for Web work, marginally OK for printing
from 6x6, disappointing for 35mm printing.
Kirk

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 22:45:11 -0500
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: dwilli10@xxxxxxx
Subject: [rollei_list] Scanners

Looks like I'm going to have to spring for a new scanner, my
Canoscan D1230U just won't run under Windows 7, regardless of what I
do.

My HP Photosmart D110 printer/scanner works just fine and my trial
version of PhotoShop Elements 10 as well is IrfanView free version both
scan well with it, but it doesn't handle negatives, just single flat
sheets.

I have a limited budget and see that the Canoscan 9000F is selling for
cheap on eBay and I see that Canon says it handles 35mm filmstrips and 2
1/4 film strips but says nothing about slides.

Does anyone have the 9000F who can tell me exactly what the
transparency/film scanning section looks like.

I don't want to buy one of those production style scanners, just
something to get the job done.

I do have an alterative, which is to hook the scanner to my laptop which
is still running Windows XP, it's just a drag to have to do
that.

Thanks for any input.

DAW