[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:16:23 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:42 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Scanners

Hi Peter,

TIFF files are nice but huge and still not a RAW, but a TIFF. Semantics I
guess.

It's not semantics. It's a concept. As Jim said, TIFF and raw are not mutually exclusive. TIFF is simply a file format. Raw is the data that is
in that file format.

A TIFF file that contains raw data will not be significantly larger than any other raw data file. The only thing that can be changed in a raw file that significantly changes file size is how the data is packed. Being a software
guy, you should understand how that would work.

Regards,

Austin

I am puzzled, I thought TIFF was compressed using non-lossy compression so that the original data could be recovered without change (unlike JPEG) and RAW was, as the name implies, the data coming from the camera or scanner in completely uncompressed form. Is this wrong?

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA