[rollei_list] Re: Scanner advice needed, please

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:16:25 -0700

At 04:02 PM 7/29/2006 -0700, Richard wrote, in part:

Lighting has an important effect on soft focus effects. One must have fairly sharp, bright, highlights to get the effect of a "pearly" highlight. If done right brighter areas have a sort of glow without actually looking blurred.

Take a look at this photo, originally a Hollywood publicity shot of my neighbors father.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006307/

It was scanned from an 8X10 glossy she has on her wall.

I cleaned it up a bit and did a bit of PhotoShop Elements (All I wanted to invest at this point) on it. It's by far not the best shot, we had several up there but because of some book deal the others were deleted.

If you enlarge this one picture you can see the highlights of a piano, just out of focus, but those elements gave the photo some context, in my opinion at least. He was brought out to Hollywood by the studio and actually learned to do scores by reading scores from classic music. He got the Oscar for scoring The Wizard of Oz, the timing of which caused him to lose a shot at Gone With the Wind, at least that's how the story goes.

DAW

Don Williams La Jolla, CA