[rollei_list] Re: Rolleis and Mountains

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:37:34 -0300

2011/4/27 Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>:
Marc James Small
>> On lower mountains, such as the Alps, a standard plastic digital
>> camera would probably do just fine but I would not want to rely on
>> such on, say, K-2.

> ...Just for the pleasure to contradict Marc, I should say that altitude
> and absolute barometric pressure are probably a non-issue for
> batteries and electronic systems; unlike our human body which is
> actually sensitive to a low ambient absolute pressure ...
> ...In our party, all plastic-and-silicon cameras were litteraly frozen,...

Emanuel:
Interesting post  sharing your direct experience.
I think Marc was talking about cold, there is a direct relationship
bewtween height and temperature, air temperature drops an average of
6.5 degrees Celsius per every 1000 feet to say it easily, there are
complicated formulas to calculate the different factors.
The climate of Mount Everest is naturally extreme. In January, the
coldest month, the summit temperature averages -36° C (-33° F) and can
drop as low as -60° C (-76° F). In July, the warmest month, the
average summit temperature is -19° C (-2° F), you can apply these
figures to the K2 (8,611 metres; 28,251 ft) since it is almost as high
as the Everest (8,848 m; 29,029 ft) and they are in similar area, it
could be more difficult to climb than the Everest.