[rollei_list] Re: Rolleimot...first Rollei SLR

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 15:03:32 -0700

Carlos,

No I am not mixing facts. I guess the easiest way to rebut what I say is try
to discredit the source as many lawyers do. But I will not go away that
easily.

My source is the same as yours, Prochnow. The only difference is I do not
believe everything he writes verbatim. I wrote an article for Shutterbug
maybe 12 years back and corresponded with Prochnow and also Rollei
Fototechnic. The latter provided some copies of old documentation and loaned
me several books dealing with Rollei. Prochnow was kind enough to clear up
some questions I had and allowed me to use some photos.

This is from the article:
"With Mamiya’s introduction of a TLR with interchangeable lenses in 1957, F
& H experimented with the idea of converting a Rolleiflex 2.8 E.  Reinhold
Heidecke approved the plan for a prototype , PR178 in 1958 which was created
with 3 interchangeable twin lenses (see Photo).  They were the standard 80mm
F2.8 Planar, a telephoto 135mm F4 Sonnar lens, and a wide angle 60mm F5.6
Distagon lens.  *Technical management* convinced Reinhold Heidecke that
there would be too many drawbacks with interchangeable lenses and F & H
abandoned the project.  Even so, this was the basis for the development of
the Tele-Rollei of 1959 with a 135 F4 Zeiss Sonnar lens, and the Wide-angle
Rollei of 1961 with its 55mm F4 Zeiss Distagon lens."

 Reading between the lines, basically Heidecke was older and wealthy and did
not need or want to fight this. his health was also not very good. Remember
he passed away less that two years later in 1960. Ten years after Franke who
died in 1950.

As to the SLR, it was SLR development originated in 1955 (this was the
original SLR Prototype) and abandoned in 1957. The reason he ABANDONED the
SLR was he and Hasselblad allegedly had some sort of gentlemens agreement.
Rollei would not make an SLR and Hasselbald would not make a TLR. I think
Victor was a much smarter business man. Hasselblad had no need to make a TLR
as his SLRs was selling exceptionally well and replaced many Rolleis pros
were using at that time. Two years after Heidecke's death Rollei began
development on the SLR again. This was 1962 and the start of the SL66.

Peter K

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬