[rollei_list] Re: Rolleikin musing

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:23:29 -0500

This discussion of alternative Rolleiflex formats has me thinking of the 6x9
sheet film backs.  Sheet film doesn't require transport like the Rolleikin and
as such it is just a matter of creating various masks for the film chamber and
viewing screen.  Alas, to my knowledge, 6x9 sheet film is no longer available.
I suppose one could cut 9x12 Efke sheets down but it seems a waste especially
when you consider that just a portion of the 6x9 sheet will be exposed.   I
guess there was always this waste factor using the sheet film backs.

I like using masks like the Rolleikin on the view finder.  I find it very easy
to compose the picture as the entire format is centered within the the view
finder like a picture on a wall .  I often shoot 6x9 in a roll film back and
9x12 sheets on my 4x5 for this same reason.    For me picture making has always
been a view finder thing.

Rob