[rollei_list] Re: Rolleikin musing

  • From: John Wild <jwild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:35:56 +0000

Sanders,

It's not possible (although anything is possible) to stretch a Rolleikin.
The best option is to use a Rolleicord Va / Vb with a 24 exposure adapter
and 120 film. The Va version will need filing out to extend the width from
40mm to 56mm, whereas the Vb version is already full frame width. The frame,
using this adapter, is landscape as oposed to portrait with the Rolleikin.
Regarding the 24 x 60 format, the Rollei frame gate is not large enough in
either direction. It would be possible to 'adapt' a Pentax 6x7...

Rollei did prototype a 35mm film back for the SL66 but that never got beyond
the 'play' stage. I have a 135 rotatable back for my Rolleiflex 6008 (based
on the 4560 rotatable back). It is one of only nine or so produced to test
the market. I had hoped that I could adapt that to be full width but again
not possible because the size of the flat pressure plate is only 45mm and
being motor wind on, it is not possible to re-program the micro chip to the
longer run (although covering the lens and releasing the shutter would
overcome this).

It would be easier to use a 220 back and reduce the film gate opening on a
SL66 or 6000 series camera and to use the paper leader & trailer attached to
a suitable length of 35mm film. This option would give portrait format. This
option could also be used on a TLR with 220 switch.

Had F&H fully developed the 6x6 (rotatable?) back for the Hy6, this would
give the best possibility of achieving 24x60 but you would be able to buy 3
X-Pans for the price of a Hy6 and back!

John