[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex and NASA

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 05:22:23 -0400

On Tuesday, April 06, 2010, at 11:15PM, "Marc James Small"
<marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>At 04:01 PM 4/6/2010, Laurence Cuffe wrote:
>
> >2) The most successful space program the world has ever seen was
> >government funded.
> >

>Let us not go there.  Senate Majority Leader
>Liein' Lyndon Johnson made damn certain that all
>private ventures had to be run through
>NASA.
Thats not who I would have in mind.  I was thinking more of this bunch:
    * 1957: First intercontinental ballistic missile, the R-7 Semyorka
    * 1957: First satellite, Sputnik 1
    * 1957: First animal to enter Earth orbit, the dog Laika on Sputnik 2
    * 1957: First animal to die in space, the dog Laika on Sputnik 2
    * 1959: First firing of a rocket in Earth orbit, first man-made object to
escape Earth's orbit, Luna 1
    * 1959: First data communications, or telemetry, to and from outer space,
Luna 1.
    * 1959: First man-made object to pass near the Moon, first man-made object
in Solar orbit, Luna 1
    * 1959: First probe to impact the Moon, Luna 2
    * 1959: First images of the moon's far side, Luna 3
    * 1960: First animals to safely return from Earth orbit, the dogs Belka and
Strelka on Sputnik 5.
    * 1960: First probe launched to Mars, Marsnik 1
    * 1961: First probe launched to Venus, Venera 1
    * 1961: First person in space and in Earth orbit, Yuri Gagarin on Vostok 1,
Vostok programme
    * 1961: First person to spend over a day in space Gherman Titov, Vostok 2
(also first person to sleep in space).
    * 1962: First dual manned spaceflight, Vostok 3 and Vostok 4
    * 1963: First woman in space, Valentina Tereshkova, Vostok 6
    * 1964: First multi-man crew (3), Voskhod 1
    * 1965: First EVA, by Aleksei Leonov, Voskhod 2
    * 1965: First probe to hit another planet (Venus), Venera 3
    * 1966: First probe to make a soft landing on and transmit from the surface
of the moon, Luna 9
    * 1966: First probe in lunar orbit, Luna 10
    * 1967: First unmanned rendezvous and docking, Cosmos 186/Cosmos 188.
(Until 2006, this had remained the only major space achievement that the US had
not duplicated.)
    * 1969: First docking between two manned craft in Earth orbit and exchange
of crews, Soyuz 4 and Soyuz 5
    * 1970: First samples automatically returned to Earth from another body,
Luna 16
    * 1970: First robotic space rover, Lunokhod 1
    * 1970: First data received from the surface of another planet (Venus),
Venera 7
    * 1971: First space station, Salyut 1
    * 1971: First probe to orbit another planet (Mars), first probe to reach
surface of Mars, Mars 2
    * 1975: First probe to orbit Venus, first photos from surface of Venus,
Venera 9
    * 1984: First woman to walk in space, Svetlana Savitskaya (Salyut 7 space
station)
    * 1986: First crew to visit two separate space stations (Mir and Salyut 7)
    * 1986: First permanently manned space station, Mir, which orbited the
Earth from 1986 until 2001
    * 1987: First crew to spend over one year in space, Vladimir Titov and Musa
Manarov on board of TM-4 - Mir
I could go on...

Apart from the good natured ribbing, which I hope you will take in the sense in
which it is meant, I agree with you that there is a lot to be said for private
space ventures, and I think we are beginning to move into some interesting
times in that area.
Where I think NASA has done some interesting work is in the unmanned
interplanetary probes, some of which have returned stunning imagery.
All the best
Larry