[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex and Margaret Bourke-White

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 13:54:43 -0700

 Peter,

Whatsamatta you?   No unsure there. It IS a Canon.

Jerry

On 10/9/2010 8:59 AM, Peter K. wrote:
Not sure Jerry. Could be. But I do know that Leitz used her testimonial of Leica in their marketing of their 35mm cameras years ago.

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 3:37 AM, Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Carlos,

    I hate to burst your bubble, but I do believe that the other
    camera appears to be a Canon
    or another Japanese copy of the Leica.  NOT a Leica.

    You may choose to disagree.

    Jerry

    CarlosMFreaza wrote:

        Margaret Bourke-White (1904-1971) was the first female war
        correspondent and the first woman to be allowed to work in combat
        zones during World War II.
        "The woman who had been torpedoed in the Mediterranean,
        strafed by the
        Luftwaffe, stranded on an Arctic island, bombarded in Moscow, and
        pulled out of the Chesapeake when her chopper crashed, was
        known to
        the Life staff as 'Maggie the Indestructible. This incident in the
        Mediterranean refers to the sinking of the England-Africa bound
        British troopship SS Strathallan which she recorded in an article
        "Women in Lifeboats", in Life, February 22, 1943.(Wikipedia)
        The first Life magazine cover when it mainly became a photo-report
        magazine in 1936 was a Bourke-White photograph about a dam.
        I found these post-war images showing Margaret Bourke-White
        her Rolleiflex 2.8C, the first one shows a Leica too.

        http://tinyurl.com/2fful3r

        http://tinyurl.com/25zgjnu

--
Peter K