[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex TLR tools

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:24:14 -0500

On Nov 25, 2005, at 9:30 AM, redleica wrote:

Bob,
I think you know your way around the odd camera ot two. I would like to ask for your opinion as to your top three lenses of all time, any format any focal length.
Thanks for your message,
God bless You.
Marvin.

Not sure if you're asking me or one of the other Bobs here.

My favorite lenses:

100mm f/2 Kinoptik Apochromat for Alpa. Absolutely unique lens with a wonderful balance of sharpness, full tonal gradation, and a 3D rendering of subjects.

100mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Planar for Contax. I always thought that my favorite Zeiss lens for 35mm photography was the 85mm f/1.4 . I did some work for Contax USA some years ago and our agreement was for them to trade me equipment for the work. One of the things I asked for was the 85/1.4, but they were out of stock at the time and Zeiss wasn't going to make more for some time, so they asked me if I'd take the 100/2 instead. I figured what the hell, I could always sell it and buy an 85 if I didn't like it. I ended up falling in love with it. It was my "normal" lens for years. It's everything a Zeiss lens ought to be. Although I no longer use Contax SLR cameras, I kept this lens and use it on my Canon EOS cameras via adapter.

80mm f/2 Schneider Xenotar for Rollei 6000. I always thought I might have liked the 100/2 Planar better, but I was never able to get my hands on one. The Xenotar is nothing short of spectacular. My only reason for selling mine, other than needing money, is that I am just not doing any medium format shooting these days.

Bob ---