[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 35mm Cameras

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:42:35 -0300

1) I understand very well that if you want to keep the same relative
image size using a wide angle lens (f.e.35mm) and a telephoto
(f.e.135mm), you need to move further away the necessary distance to
compensate the telephoto longer focal length; from certain point of
view could be useful to keep in mind that even if the main subject in
the foreground has a similar size, the background will appear bigger
and closer for the telephoto image and then this "compensation" by
distance is relative and not absolute. This change for the background
perspective and relative size could be desirable or not desirable for
the image composition, but this is other issue.

2) I understand very well that given the similar image relative size
and keeping the same f stop for both lenses, the DOF will be similar
because the aperture is the same, f8 is always f8 for the WA lens and
the Tele lens, if the distance from the subject "compensated" the
difference for the focal length, DOF must be similar due to the
identical f stop.

3)For  practical photography, things work different in general, if you
put a WA lens on your camera, it's because you want the WA lens angle
of view and the DOF provided by its short focal length, you have no
reason to think about the relative image size issue regarding the DOF,
and similar reasoning for any other focal length, in general you
choose the lenses for their different angle of view and the different
DOF.
Anyway, I accept that for certain marginal situations (like the lack
of the right lens for your wishes or necessities) could be useful to
know the focusing distance to the subject for two different focal
length to obtain a similar DOF for the same given f/stop.

4) As a regular and intensive user of a camera provided with a built
in taking lens, I know very well  the issues about focusing distance
and image relative size.-

Carlos