[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 35mm Cameras

  • From: Gene Johnson <genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:37:21 -0800

I will add my 2 cents to the coupled vs noncoupled rangefinder debate. I think that many times when a rangefinder camera is not focusing well, it is the linkage that is to blame. I've used a little leitz rangefinder on the shoes of several front cell focusing folding cameras with excellent results . Less convenient but reliable.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 9, 2009, at 8:59 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Eric, first the idea that an add on rangefinder is more accurate than
a built in rangefinder is absolutely counter intuitive.

Second, the idea that an accurate focusing mechanism is not required in most shooting situations also does not comply with photography as I experience,
regardless of what this list or anyone else says.

I do know people that have used 35's and that is as a second camera in case
their main one fails, this seems to be strong enough testimony for me
regarding the general usefulness of the camera.
Thanks,
Marvin.

My first camrea my Voigtländer Vito bl I had a Leica rangefinder in the cold
shoe my 8th grade teacher bought it for me.
It made for lots of shots which would not have come out.
One of which:
http://rabinergroup.com/ImagePages/Motherchildindoorpage.html

I found working with it very viable. Till it disappeared. Fell off no doubt.

Mark William Rabiner