[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 35mm Cameras

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:37:30 -0400

At 10:31 PM 4/12/2010, John Stockdale wrote:
>Some time ago I wrote about my Singapore Rollei 35S which has a meter in
>need of repair. Marc asked for more info, so belatedly  here it is.
>
>I no longer have a 5.6volt battery that is full voltage. But several
>years ago I had two that were full voltage. At that time, the meter
>worked when the light level was quite high (at which times I don't
>really need a meter!), and gave "too low" LED sign at around 1/60sec
>f5.6 at ISO=400 and at lower light levels. I'm not sure exactly if that
>was the cut-off light level, but it was close to that. No equivalent
>combination of aperture/shutter made any difference.
>
>Two technicians have had it apart and have ruled out simple connection
>issues, battery holder etc.  Both said that parts are unavailable, but
>I'm sure they didn't comb the planet for an elusive part that might
>exist somewhere.
>
>So if there is someone who knows of a possible fix I would appreciate
>it.  I will keep the camera because the lens is excellent and, unlike
>several tiny cameras that I have, I can easily set this little Rollei on
>settings that I want and don't have to worry about trying to outsmart
>auto focus, auto exposure and the like.

John

With respect, I had always thought the claims that the Rollei 35 family had unreliable meters was so much persiflage until I obtained my current Singapore 35S. The meter in this camera is all over the board. Thank God, I understand the Sunny 16 rule: on some days, the meter works perfectly and, then, POW!, it is four stops off. And, the next day it works correctly. So, I Sunny 16 in the daytime and use a small Vivitar flash for nighttime shoots.

I am used to picking up a Contax II or Leica IIIc and walking out and shooting a roll without a light meter, so the unreliable meter is not an issue with me. But it is with others, and I now accept that the Rollei 35 family have problems with their light meters.

Harry Fleenor seems able to repair these, incidentally.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!