[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8E value & Maxwell screen installation

Stephen et al.:

Thanks for this assessment.  I will call and make a better offer.

I had a Planar 2.8E before, so I am not too sure I want to "go backwards"
to a Xenotar.

I am also not too fond of the EVS system.  Never understood why you would
want to couple shutter speed and f-stop in creative photography, esp. when
you need to bracket to get the right shot etc., or read light values off 2
different windows on the built-in meter, rather than having it coupled
straight to the shutter and f-stop.  You can tell I really need an F (and
one with the 12/24 option!)...

I currently have a minty 3.5E Xenotar without meter and use the compact
Sekonic meter.  The 3.5 is lighter and slightly more compact too so Ilike
it for travel. So I won't replace it with a well-used 2.8E.

On Maxwell screens:
Don't understand why anyone here wants to have their screens installed.  I
installed Maxwell's in both my previous 2.8E and the current 3.5E and it
was no problem with the instructions Maxwell included.  Just take your time
on a quiet evening with a solid uncluttered surface and good light to work
under. Saves the wait and the risks of shipping the camera.

Jan

=========
From: "Stephen Attaway" <attaway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I'm a big fan of the 2.8e, just having picked up a second
example. Its with Harry Fleenor right now. The meter was
1/3 of a stop low. Harry has no parts for the meter and
tells me that the meter cell and meter came in matched sets
from the factory and have no adjustments for sensitivity.
My 'old' 2.8e meter is spot on, so if I get finicky I
suppose I can swap them out.

Gasser's in San Francisco just sold a 2.8f with a dead
meter for $400. Everything else worked.

Using that as a baseline, and figuring in the cost of a
cla, I think the camera zeros out and the outfit is worth
what the case, strap, mirrored caps, instruction manual,
diffusor and box are worth - about $300 if you bought all
those things seperately from keh or somewhere.