[rollei_list] Re: Rollei taking and viewing lens alignment

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:18:51 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:37 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rollei taking and viewing lens alignment

David Dodge wrote:
I'm puzzled by all the ingenuity spent on parallax correction. It seems easy enough to just aim a bit high, 1-1/2 inches on my Yashica. .

Most parallax correction contraptions are a bit of a makeshift.. Since the viewing lens is a bit higher it looks over things that might block the view of the taking lens. The Mamiya folks solve this with a device that fits between the camera and the tripod, that will jack the taking lens into the same place as the viewing lens. I have taken advantage of the bellows of a Mamiya to make 6x6 macro pictures by making pencil marks on the tripod. This wouldn't work if the camera had parallax control.
David

It's more the difference in the position of objects relative to each other (perspective) that is of more concern shooting a TLR close in than the error in framing (which is what the correction tries to compensate for). The paramender device Mamaya produced that you describe corrects for the perspective/parallax error. A. Adams was bothered by this and avoided TLRs and rangefinders because of it...

Eric Goldstein

At the normal minimum distance of a Rolleiflex the error is tollerable but it becomes worse when using close up adaptor lenses. The parallax corrector is right for only one distance as you point out. The frame limits are correct for that distance but not for others and the relative positions of objects is not corrected.
The use of a vertical slide will correct the problem with relative position but the parallax compensator will then make the frame limits of the finder wrong. I think this is the reason Rollei offered the sheet film and plate adaptor.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx