[rollei_list] Re: Rollei taking and viewing lens alignment

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:02:11 -0400

It's more the difference in the position of objects relative to each other (perspective) that is of more concern shooting a TLR close in than the error in framing (which is what the correction tries to compensate for). The paramender device Mamaya produced that you describe corrects for the perspective/parallax error. A. Adams was bothered by this and avoided TLRs and rangefinders because of it... Eric Goldstein

> Eric > Thanx. This is exactly what I was trying to say. I suppose the way to > think about it is that a parallax corrected range finder can look over > things that the tanking lens cannot. But why couldn't Ansel buy a > paramander or crank his tripod up the 1-1/2 inches? For hand holding,, > with a little thought, he could teach himself to compose with a 1-1/2 > inch bend in his knees. > David

Adams liked his ground glass and MF SLRs (Hassies provided by the factory). Hand holding does not produce sharp negatives and he generally steered clear... this is all discussed in his famous trilogy, where he demonstrates the perspective error created by the different viewing and taking lenses on a Hassy SW...

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List