[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Flash

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:11:43 -0800

On Friday, January 11, 2008, at 12:11PM, "Peter J Nebergall" <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>At this time almost all my flash work is with my little Nikon SBs, used
>in TTL.  I know TTL adjusts by flash duration (it is an amazing product,
>and justifyably so) -- are you saying some of those short durations can
>produce reciprocity failure?
>
>P.J. Nebergall

Yes.

This typically shows up on film data sheets in phrasing such as  "No exposure
compensation should be required for exposures in the 1/4000-128 second range"
Implying that this is a problem with both short and long exposures. People
taking high speed flash shots of birds in flight have run into this.

I have found more  information in, Engineering and Scientific High-Speed
Photography by Hyzer (1962) and in paper's in the various proceedings of the
International congress on high speed photography.(SMPT)

Some more details on this. The effect of very short exposures is to reduce
sensitivity and to reduce Gamma.  This can normally be compensated for by
increasing development time at the cost of increasing grain size, due to grain
clumping. In the case of extremely short exposure times it may in some cases be
useful to let film develop to "completion", not something one would normally
consider. This for for the kind of people who photograph explosives and atomic
bombs and other fast things.

Short duration Reciprocity failure is more pronounced with larger grain films
which have been aged as part of the production process and and may well be a
function of the sensitization.  In particular Sensitization based on Sodium
Thiosulfate can be problematic, while gold sensitization is less likely to show
problems.
For color film the color balance can be adversely affected by very short
duration exposures.

All the best
Laurence Cuffe