[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35 lenses blog

At 11:24 PM 2/28/2011, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>I published in one of my blogs a page about the Rollei 35 lenses with
>photographs and diagrams:
>
>http://itarphotos.blogspot.com/2011/02/rollei-35-lenses.html

I do not believe that anyone has pointed out the patent infringement issues raised by Rollei's use of a Zeiss design under its own label and lens name. Have no fear: the Zeiss patent on the original 2.8/40 Sonnar would have dated from the early 1970's and thus would have expired in the early 1990's, so Rollei could have done this rebadging any time over the past two decades.

I doubt that Zeiss was upset by this development and probably applauded it. Zeiss makes its money from mass production of the finest lenses known to man <he grins>, and they have been trying to avoid low-quantity runs of specialty lenses since at least 1960. They do produce a few low-number runs for prestige purposes, such as their binoculars and spotting scopes, but their bread and butter comes from industrial, laboratory, medical, and military optics and not from camera lenses.

I have a Zeiss 2.8/40 on my glovebox camera, a Rollei 35S, and I doubt if I shall be upgrading anytime soon.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!