[rollei_list] Re: Rodinal, TMax, scanning

  • From: <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:30:53 -0700

Bob, you were probably wet-mounting the negatives on the drums --
the wetting agent eliminates any rings.  The problem only surfaces
(pardon the pun) when you are putting negatives directly on the
flatbed scanner glass, without any mounting fluid.  Then you have
substrate (in the shadows) touching the glass, and Newton Rings
are everywhere.  I found this to be an especial problem with thin
emulsions like Tech Pan, but Tri-X almost never causes problems
like this, at least when scanning it emulsion-side down.  (With a
flip in PS to reorient the image.)