[rollei_list] Re: Repairing a case

At 10:33 PM 2/18/2007, Peter Schauss wrote:
>I have a case for a Rolleicord Va which needs to be re-stitched where the
>sides attach to the back. One side has completely separated from the back
>and the other side is missing a good bit of the stitching.  My local shoe
>repair guy won't touch it.  Any suggestions, or is there someone who makes
>new cases for a reasonable price?

You have settled for an incapable shoe-repair guy. (I learned years back to buy REALLY expensive shoes and to wear them until they self-destruct, and then to get them rebuilt. But, then, my father's 1942 duck parka from his service in Alaska keeps icy rains off me even into this new century. I am the very soul of recycling ... I just keep recycling all my own gear!)

Seriously, find a leatherworking store. Take the case in and show it to them. They will either know someone who does that kind of work or will sell you the appropriate needles and thread, and you do it yourself. I have rebuilt a few cases along the way. I use really big honkin' needles bought at a sewing store and really thick thread, and I beeswax it before proceeding. The holes are there: this is the leatherwork equivalent of "paint by the numbers" and is not up to the level of, say, lubing a Compur shutter, which all you guys seem to do three times a week with time left over for tea and crumpets and a couple of tots of Pusser's Rum, neat.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!