[rollei_list] Re: Re : Difficult To Load?

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:29:14 -0400

On Jul 20, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 11:36 AM 7/20/2010, Allen Zak wrote:
>Experiences can differ, leading to conflicting views about the same
>item.  In a studio setting, for example, where clean surfaces are
>available and time is not of the essence, M3s are fine.  On location,
>amidst activity and movement, including ones own, it can be a challenge
>to deal with small detachable parts, especially if there is an
>adrenalin overload situation, as well.  Much, if not most of my
>photography, takes place under these conditions, so I prefer simplicity
>wherever it can be found.
>
>The film loading problems to which you refer, I believe, were more
>typical of M42s and 6s than M4s.
>In any case, I never experiences a failure with an M4 film loading
>system, which I vastly preferred to my M2 and its traditional removable
>spool.  It required some attention to make sure the leader was not too
>long or short, but that took less time than juggling with removable
>spools, which could be fumbled.  I dropped a few, fortunately not
>losing any.  All the same, I much admire the Leica one-piece body as a
>model of strength and precision, despite the bottom film loading method
>it requires.

Allan

I have owned three M4's, the worse pieces of junk I have ever owned. Lubitel would have been embarrassed to have produced such a worthless load of crap. I have never owned or even used an M4-2.

The M4 never-load system had such a lousy reputation in the field that Leitz had to offer a service to retrofit the M2/M3 system for workng pros.

The M4 system is ONLY good in a studio environment, where you can devote the great amount of time necessary to ensure that it is loaded properly In the field, the film tongue generally slips out of the three-pronged devil unless you can stop the war long enough to pay GREAT attention and take GREAT care in loading, and, even then, you have to waste a half-dozen shots making certain the film is advancing. You just do not have that problem with the M2/M3 system. (And pros back then generally bought three or four extra take-up spools and preloaded them on to film leaders to speed up the loading process.)

These experiences are hardly unique to me: we used to have some fine discussions on this point on the old (pre-digital) LUG. Even Ted Grant admitted the problems with loading the M6 unless a lot of precision and care is used.

I shot a couple of weddings with an M3 and then upgraded to an M4. The M4 promptly fell apart, so I ended up shooting it with a Leica IIIc and got some superb pictures -- and had no problem loading it, either!

Marc

Then I must have lucked into an M4 made on a Wednesday by a shift whose wives had been kind to them the night before. My Leica never malfunctioned or missed a beat. I also had an M2 and later, an M42, both of which also were well behaved. Actually, the Leicas I preferred were the SMs. At various times those were the IIIA, C, F and G models, one or another which I used for more than a decade. They were only practical for use with a 50 mm lens, no problem for me, since that was how I liked to frame the world then. When lens interchangeability became a professional necessity, I went to the Ms which frankly, I didn't like as well. Repairs were seldom necessary, nor were there serious problems loading them, but I still preferred the three pronged devil.

Allen Zak