[rollei_list] Re: Re : Difficult To Load?

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:24:24 -0400

At 03:11 PM 7/20/2010, Allen Zak wrote:
>Do anything long enough and you get good at it.  My background is
>similar in that at various times and places I had to do the same work
>in commercial studios, darkrooms and on photo shoots.  I grew quite
>adept at these skills and quite frankly sometimes miss not doing any of
>them nowadays.  For several years, my work flow has been all digital,
>and I don't have the ability to easily transition between silver
>halides and pixels.  Every year I usually take a film camera to the
>Ohio State Fair, but that's about it.

Try running at full speed and reloading an M4. Then shoot the roll and discover the film did not properly feed into that three-pronged devil and that you missed the shot of the Prime Minister getting shot and killed. THAT will be a damper on your day, and it doesn't do any good for me to remind you that Leica themselves WARNED you to only load an M4 at rest and with great care. I don't care HOW many times you do it: the system is defective, as acknowledged by Leica. And the M4 was dumped by the Pros in bucketloads as a result. Leica never gained back the pro hold they had had with the M2 and M3.

On the other hand, you can load an M3 at a run (I have done it) and be CERTAIN the film will feed properly. Not a matter of familiarization. A matter of a decent system, that of the M2/M3, and a lousy system, that of the M4.

The three-pronged devil is the only bad part of my M6, and it always gives me concern when I load it. Incidentally, I have put thousands of rolls through the M6, so it does you no good to suggest that I do not know my own gear.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!