[rollei_list] Re: Provia 400X [was: Re: Slide film is still alive]

  • From: "Eugen Mezei" <Eugen.Mezei@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:25:17 +0100

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:57:43 -0300 (ART)
> Von: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [rollei_list] Re: Provia 400X [was: Re: Slide film is still alive]

> I guess you are talking about the first image,

Yes, the 3 person in the water.

> the
> scene was contrasty itself and I exposed for the
> people, they received a right exposure, if I exposed
> for the darker areas, the people would be overexposed
> and they are the main subject; as you know, slide film
> produces contrasty images,

I like a bit of contrast myself, but in this case it is too much for me. I like
the picture of the girl more in this respect, the contrast there seems more
natural. That one was taken on Agfa RSX. (A film I never had the oportunity to
use.)

I just wonder about the Fuji. I use Provia 100 and it is also contrasty but not
so much. Well... some day maybe I test the new Fujis, but for now I have enough
of the older types in the freezer.

> several Flickr users liked
> very much that image, the saturated colors due to the
> underexposure for the darker areas specially.

It's not that I don't like it, it is just that it differs so much from how we
see normally. (In fact I think it would be pretty ankward to see the world in
such oversaturated colors as the images in magazines suggest it.)

> There are other samples in my gallery taken with
> "normal" contrast using the 400X, the 400X is a great
> film, great colors, great super fine grain for an ISO
> 400 film and I'd say is one of the less contrasty
> slide film I have used (I have used most of them).

I never used ASA400 as slide, but some day I will try the 400X.

Oh... stop, in one of my Rolleicords I have a Fuji 100-1000 that is exposed at
400. In there for more than 5 years now, wondering what it will look once
developed. ;-)

Eugen
--
There is no heavier burden than a great potential.