[rollei_list] Re: Pls. identify this Rollei accessory

  • From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 20:09:47 -0000

Eugen,

To further qualify the '24-on' accessory set for the Rolleicord. Two
were made, one for the the Va and one for the Vb. The main differences
are the width of the film-gate mask opening. The Va version has a
narrower opening because the side pieces are wider; the frame size is
approximately 40x27. It has little notches which give marks on the film
for trimming to 36x24. The version for the Vb is virtually full width ie
53x27, having narrower side pieces. Because the Va did not have a
removeable hood, the viewfinder mask, made of metal, slipped on top of
the viewing screen, whereas for the Vb, with removeable hood, the mask
(made of a 'Mylar'type plastic) was fitted underneath the screen
(similarly for the '16-on' sets available for both models.

The one in your link, is as Ferdi says, for the Vb; as you can see it
has slim side pieces. This particular set has two film gate masks, one
for the '24-on'(53x27) and also one from the '16-on' (54x40 or 6x4.5).
The screen masks are missing (being thin plastic, they are easily
broken) It is not possible to tell from the film counter whether that is
a '24-on' or '16-on' but I would suspect that someone has added the
'16-on' mask because they did not know where it came from and thought
that it belonged there.

I do not know what the little protrusion on the side of the 54x40 mask
is for(marked with the red arrow). My mask does not have one. Anybody
have any ideas?

The last identifier between the two types is on the Va set case the
stamping says 'Rolleicord', whereas the Vb set has 'Rolleicord Vb' as in
this particular picture.

For information - an article will hopefully be appearing in the April
edition (January issue has just been posted) of 'Club Rollei User' on
these mask sets.

Best wishes

John