[rollei_list] Pianos

  • From: Dirk-Roger Schmitt <Dirk-Roger.Schmitt@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:05:45 +0200

Thtat is correct.
Steinweg's and Schimmel's are still made in Braunschweig.

The name Steinweg is of course still used, but not in the US because of lawsuits between Steinweg and Steinway.

Anyway, a Steinweg is still superieur to a Steinway.

Dirk

At 18:25 30.08.2006, you wrote:
I noticed your comment on other things made in Brauschweig.

Maybe our German readers could confirm or better describe what is and what is not made there, but it is my impression--if memory serves me right--that Brauschweig also has been important in the production of pianos.

I seem to recall that Theodor Steinweg (aka Steinway in the States) resided there. Theordor was important in developing the Steinway into what it is. He preferred to live in Europe rather than in New York. The Steinwegs had a connection with another piano maker, Grotrian.

I seem to recall that the Grotrian-Steinweg piano was made and is still made in Braunschweig (known in the States as Brunswick. The piano is now called simply the Grotrian--probably due to struggles over the right to the name Steinway in the States.

And I seem to recall that Schimmel pianos are made there now.

Braunschweig, it would seem, was the seat of many valued objects--cameras and musical instruments. I have always thought of Southwest Germany was the location where many fine things are made, but Braunschweig diffently puts that idea to shame.

Top of the day to you all--Doug

--- Rollei List

--- Rollei List