[rollei_list] Re: Peter Negergal? Any buy Rollei's from him? I paid, no camera, no response....

  • From: slobodan dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:06:21 -0700

I'll have to come to Peter's defense. The cameras were not over sold. For the price, they are what they are, cameras which needed some attention. His use of the following descriptive language, such as "all are usable or better...weathered but working...beater Automat," did not leave any doubts about the condition of the cameras. My Automat was a borderline basket case. I had to add a couple of drops of lighter fluid to free up the shutter. I took out a rivet which was bidding the front panel, as it couldn't reach infinity. The leather was replaced with a new set from Cameraleather, which was quite a feat as the camera was put together from parts of cameras from other eras. I took apart the focusing lens to clean out the haze.

Once I calibrate the focus, then I'll run some film through it.
And you did not hear me whine about it all. It was actually quite therapeutic, sitting in front of the TV, watching the Euro cup 2008 games, and cleaning up the little beast.
s.d

On Jun 23, 2008, at 5:56 PM, Richard Sintchak wrote:

Yeah, surprisingly it arrived the next day I wrote that email to the list. In his defense he did actually send on June 2nd as he said he did but not priority air, regular air. Took 3 weeks! Maybe the floods in the midwest delayed things. Thing is he sent it to my home and not my work address. I specially asked him to send it to my work address and it was the only address I gave him. I have no idea how he got my home address unless it was on the bank bill pay check I sent. Strange. Lucky I got it at all as the postman leaves packages out in a common area of my loft complex and that's why I have packages like this sent to my work.

Worst part is the Rolleicord he sold me is also flithy, with the leather peeling everywhere, metal edges rusting in numerous places (and no the box had nothing that would have indicated some kind of flood damge in transit), knob covers missing, the shutter speeds inoperable under 1/30th, fungus/mold on a lens and with loads of microscratches and the film advance does not work, or works intermittently, often stopping at frame 2 and going no further. I wasted three rolls olf film trying to get it to work at all. The mirror is ghastly and filthy as well, as was the focusing screen. It appears to have been left in someone's moldy basement and not used in years. I am not pleased in the least.

I specifically wrote him in an email the following before purchasing this camera:

"May I assume the lens is clean and clear? Film advance and shutter all work ok? How's the mirror and ground glass?"

His response;

"Lens is pretty good. Xenar 3.5. Works well. I think you'll like the Cord V."

Now how in the world he reconciled that with the camera I received is simply beyond belief. Since he still has not even replied to my three messages asking about his shipping method and to confirm the address I cannot believe he'll respond to any email expressing my dissatisfaction with the camera and my wanting to return it for misrepresenting the condition. Oh well. Lesson learned. $110 USD down the drain for an ugly doorstop.

Shame too. I bought one of his books a couple years back and he seemed a nice guy in the email exchange as part of that purchase. I simply cannot understand how people can represent such a piece if crap so completley inaccurately. I guess I was raised differently.

On 6/23/08, Peter K. <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Richard,

Any news on your camera? Well, I just sent the camera I bought from him in for review/repair. Apparently I now know why he unloaded it at the price he did. It was not only the filthiest camera I have ever seen but the alleged CLA must have been done years ago or by an inept novice. The shutter was not working properly and the focus is out of sorts. Geez. Never again.

How are you otherwise. You are in San Francisco correct?

Peter K

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Richard Sintchak <rich815@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone personally know Peter J Nebergal (iusar4s@xxxxxxxx)?  He
posted for sale a couple of Rollei's on this list about a month ago.
We communicated (albiet a bit slowly back and forth) and agreed to a
deal on a Rolleicord.  He confirmed receipt of my funds (bank check)
and said he sent it out from back east about 3 weeks ago.  I have
received nothing as of today.  I emailed him three times in the last
week or so asking him to confirm the address he shipped to and the
service he used for shipping but have not heard back at all.  Hoping
it's just a misunderstanding because it all seemed on the up and up,
but does anyone have any info on him or know him?  Anyone else buy
from him successfully from that posting?

Thanks,

Richard S.
San Francisco

Peter K