[rollei_list] Re: Old Xenotar and Pan F 50 combo resolving power and contrast

Which is why the Getty collection is such an important one. It's a public collection, though geared to the researcher for study. One can call the curator, set up an appointment for a particular subject, author, era, etc. The items are then brought out in boxes for a hands on previewing. I once asked for occupational images from the 19th century to the 1920's. I handled Civil War images, on how to construct water fording crafts to Walker Evans' images of Havana. Before 'packaging' for exhibition the images have a quite different resonance.

Slobodan Dimitrov

On Nov 9, 2007, at 6:26 AM, Eric Goldstein wrote:

Robert -

This is an important insight and one which we do raise from time to
time... I'll take it one step further...

Recently for my birthday a good friend presented me with a
once-in-a-lifetime gift. She works at one of the US's premiere museums
and in their collection are a number of photographs by my favorite
artist. She presented me with a private showing of these works out of
their frames, without distance, glass, bad museum lighting or a mat to
obscure them. This experience was truly transforming... the works took
on a dramatically different appearance and impact. You could really
see the details of the craft at work, some of the creative choices,
the hand-written notes by the artist on the reverse of the prints.
I've had a similar opportunity and experience while exploring Jack
Naylor's extensive private collection of important prints over the
years...

The viewing experience has an enormous impact on one' ability to judge
a work, whether it is on the web or in a gallery or museum. What we
have is what we have, but as you point out it is important to
understand the limitations and keep them in mind when forming
impressions and opinions...

Eric Goldstein

--

On 11/9/07, Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I must say first off that I am an amateur and bewildered most of the time - a mere babe wandering in the world of experts. But I often wonder if we are dealing with the "emperor's new clothes" when we show each other examples of work dealing with particular aspect of a lens - or anything else analog for
that matter.  The silver crystals have been scanned, manipulated by
software, strained into a file format and sent over the internet to be
viewed at 72 lines per inch.

How would I know if it's the lens or the software or what - Jeez it might even be lens fairies? I am really not trying to be cute here and Carlos especially always has great pictures to show. I guess I need to be educated
on how to see the original analog grandeur through all of this digital
flopping about.

Thanks,

Rob