[rollei_list] Re: [Off-Topic] Photo Bookstores, galleries & shops in San Franciscon, CA ??

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:38:56 -0700

Jim,

I disagree vehemently! Discount Camera ( on Grant Ave) had the highest prices that I had ever seen, anywhere, for Rollei, Leica and H'blad used gear. I bought at Gasser when there was a great gun store
just about across their street. (2nd below market??)

Jerry

Jim Brick wrote:
The only Ansel Adams Gallery in the SFO area is in Burlingame - about 15 minutes south of SFO.

http://www.sanfrancisco.com/ansel-adams-gallery-b1697711

I've never been there so don't know anything about it. Call before you go.

Interestingly, the Yosemite Ansel Adams Gallery's business office is in Burlingame/Belmont.

For camera stores, Gasser and Calumet are a waste of time. The best in SFO is Discount Camera:

http://www.discountcamera.com/location/location.html

In the south bay, Keeble and Shuchat Photography and Bear Imaging are great. 40 minutes south of SFO. You can take CalTrain as it stops one block from KSP (California Street, Palo Alto). I've been doing business with KSP for over 30 years. They have a large photography book section. And they have MF & LF, but no Rollei except in used.

http://www.kspphoto.com/

http://www.bearimages.com/Bear_Images_Photographic,_Inc./Bears_Retail_Store.html

I bought my JOBO ATL-2400 from Bear, and they now have the Leica dealership.

They are but three blocks apart. Depending if and when you would be going to either/both, I might be able to meet you (or whomever) there.

Jim

On Apr 8, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Emmanuel Bigler wrote:

Hello all

A slightly off-topic question for those of this group living in California or better, in the San Francisco Bay Area Two friends of the French medium and large format forum galerie-photo.info will visit San Francisco soon and are asking about recommended Photo bookstores, galleries and photo shops to visit in San Francisco and surroundings.

I've stayed in the SF Bay Area in 1990 for 6 months, so I'm interested by the advice for myself as well, all I know is now probably totally obsolete. There was an Ansel Adams Gallery downtown close to Gasser's, I know that this AA gallery has been closed for a decade or so ; is it possible to see some prints by Saint Ansel in the SF Bay area, or do you have to go to Carmel or Yosemite ? or any other place in California for this ?

I also doubt that present photo stores will show as many Rolleiflex & classical cameras in their used department as 20 years ago.. for a soon-to-be member of this group, coming from Europe, California photo stores were often kind of dream stores with shelves stuffed with medium and large format cameras in quantities and varieties hard to find in France. Good old days !

--
Emmanuel