[rollei_list] Re: OT:Nikon picture format

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:43:37 -0400

At 02:29 PM 9/28/2009, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:
>You started this discussion Marc and I'll try to avoid discussions
>with you in the future, the unreasonableness is not valid reason to
>me, I have quoted much more than your called "Mitusbishi..etc.", that
>is the Japanese source; I can`t see the way a format that tended to
>save film giving more frames per roll could increase the sale of US
>film in Japan, it does not make sense.
>This is from the Nikon Historical Society web site, an American site,
>not Mitsubishi site and Rotoloni belongs to this society:
>
>"The Nikon I was produced from March of 1948 to August of 1949, or a
>little over one year. The Nikon 1 had no flash synch of any kind,
>"Made in Occupied Japan (MIOJ)" engraved on the baseplate and either a
>50mm F3.5 or 2.0 Nikkor in a collapsible mount. This model did not
>prove to be very popular, ___for the Gl IQ of the Occupation forces,
>under General MacArthur, would not allow the camera to be exported to
>the US because the 24 x 32 format was not compatible with Kodachrome
>slide mounts. Therefore, very few Nikon Is made their way to the US
>even though they were sold to the Occupation troops. It was this
>restriction on export, because of the film size, that prompted Nippon
>Kogaku to introduce a second model which corrected this. In August of
>1949, the Nikon I was discontinued and replaced by a second model
>known as the Nikon M."___

First, I did not start this thread, Carlos.  I responded to postings by you.

Second, yes, you are drinking the Mitsubishi Cool-Aid.

Third, if you do not understand that in 1948, no Japanese company could schedule a tea-break without the permission of the Dai Ichi Building, then you literally know nothing about the terms of the Allied occupation of Japan. The US ran that occupation and, after Pearl Harbor, the US just did not trust the Japanese and so they really micro-managed everything until late 1950 or early 1951. All camera production and lens production and film formats and the like were dictated by the Allied Control Commission. Mitsubishi could propose, but MacArthur's folks disposed. Ignore this reality at your peril. Most Mitsubishi Cool-Aid Drinkers ignore it, and it gives them a really skewed picture of what was going on at that time.

Fourth, yes, I do manage this List erratically. But it is my List, so I guess I can manage it erratically if I wish! Carlos, you are a very valued member here, but, as I have suggested before, let us get OFF of Nikon and agree to disagree.

In any event, let us get back to discussing Rollei.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!