[rollei_list] Re: OT:Kodak Pocket 1A Autographic

  • From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:12:54 -0500

Back in the early 80s, I picked up a Kodak Vest Pocket Hawk Eye in
purple, with a purple bellows.  This had a light leak and I had the
thing repaired by International Camera Co. here in Chicago (they might
still be around).  They replaced the purple bellows with a black one.

A few years later, I was walking around Oak Park when I ran into an
elderly woman, well into her 80s, taking snapshots with a similar
camera.  She let me take a picture of the camera, but not of her.  I
figured it would probably be the last time I saw one of the original
owners of such a camera actually using it.

These cameras took 127 film, the same as my first camera, which was a
Kodak "Brownie" Holiday Flash (which I still have).  When I was a kid,
127 was the most popular film type.

When Kodak discontinued 127 Ektachrome, I bought a brick of it and
kept it in my freezer for years, to use with my grey Baby Rollei 44.
I guess you can probably get 127 slide film again, eh?

When my uncle went into a nursing home last year (he has since died)
he put me in charge of his affairs.  Not only did I find a wealth of
photos, some dating back to the WWI era (showing my grandfather in the
Navy), but I got the camera many of them were taken with too- a big
size Autographic, and with an instruction manual for a similar,
although not identical model to boot.

That's kind of a thrill, to have a collection like this and the camera
that made them too.