[rollei_list] Re: OT film advice, film vs. digital

Mostly, I make sure that my highlights fall in zone VII when I release the shutter. If the shadows that I really want to see fall below zone III, I pre-flash the film. I put a white diffusion filter in front of my lens and make an exposure somewhere between Zone I and II, then via double exposure, make the normal scene exposure. This works pretty well and keeps the Velvia brilliance. The other way to quieten highlights is to over expose and under develop but this has a tendency to flatten out Velvia's brilliance.

My normal Ciba paper is CF.1k which is the low contrast version of Ciba paper. It is rare that I have to make a mask, but, sometimes I have to - fortunately, not very often. Probably once a year.

Jim

At 08:10 AM 7/18/2007 -0400, Douglas Nygren wrote:

Jim, how do you handle the highlights on Cibachrome paper. My friend masked them. Do you do that as well. Always seemed like a lot of work to me. The results, however, were stunning.

Doug