[rollei_list] Re: OT film advice, film vs. digital

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 06:13:17 -0700

Ken blows with the wind. I would not put too much trust in his commentary.

On 7/17/07, Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That was interesting, certainly about what I would expect. Strange to see
Ken Rockwell with a Canon - wasn't he the worlds foremost Nikon fan?
I had an Olympus trip as a youngster and never had any doubts over its
excellent lens.

In 2005 we had a lovely holiday in Iceland. I had my Canon and a Mamiya 7
with 43mm and 80mm lenses (lighter than my 6008i). Whilst I didn't make the
sort of comparison seen here - I couldn't be bothered, FWIW the superiority
of the Mamiya 7 scans over the Canon files was a bit less than the
superiority seen here of the Canon over the Olympus.

For me the outstanding benefits of digital over film are as follows. If I
only take 3 shots I can print them straight away rather than waiting for the
film to be finished. If on a holiday I am taking pictures inside and out,
day and night I can change the effective iso at will. Even though I have had
a darkroom for 40 years and process my own colour films, digital is much
faster to produce a hard copy and gives more consistent prints.

There are different opinions on the net about whether film or digital has
the highest resolution. On prints of the size I make I have found that
resolution is not the most important thing I am looking for. I have some
very good A4 prints from my first 3.3 megapixel SLR. I have some unusable
medium format negatives. Lack of flare, colour, lack of grain and boke are
all more important to me.
You take the best pictures with the camera you have with you, which for me
is now nearly always digital. Like many others I await an affordable
digiback for my 6008i.
Frank

On 17 Jul, 2007, at 18:15, eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/olympus/trip-35.htm