[rollei_list] Re: OT: eBay as History

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:28:24 -0400

At 01:17 PM 7/22/2010, Eric Goldstein wrote:
>Marc -
>
>eBay is extremely useful as a SOURCE for historical data. Few sellors
>have the skills or motivation to doctor the images of what they
>display there. The descriptions/narratives are unreliable, but that is
>nothing new to historians... just about all narratives from all
>sources are.
>
>What can be very unreliable is the interpretation of that data in the
>hands of historians, few of which enter into their investigations with
>neutrality... they almost all have a position to prove or uphold and
>facts to spin spin spin...

Eric

You do not know the dozens and dozens of occasions on which it has turned out that sellers have misidentified the item or listed the wrong serial number. It is true beyond all question that relying on eBay as an historical source is like using the NATIONAL ENQUIRER for the same purpose. eBay is helpful for establishing the selling price of an item over the past month, but that really is about it.

I will admit that I scored some really nice pieces back in the day from idiots not understanding what they were selling. But history? Nah! I had to dig up the history elsewhere.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!