[rollei_list] OT: Walmart

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:30:42 -0400

At 02:01 PM 7/22/2010, CheshireCCat wrote:

This is off topic, so I won't reply anymore to walmart posts, but they come into small towns, lower their prices so that none of the family owned businesses can compete, run them out of business because of all the cheap people around who would rather have a deal than a relationship with their local stores and then they raise their prices back to normal. I lived in San Diego for many years and I saw it happen there, northern california, Florida, Oklahoma, and a few other places. They give their employees just under full time so that they do not have to pay benefits, and they fire anyone that even mentions starting a union to get better working conditions. I have seen them fire a full store of employees and shut down the store until they could hire new staff. They run everyone out of business, and then they hire them at low wages so that the only place they can afford to shop is at walmart. They are an unethical and immoral company and I have never and will never shop there because I still have my self respect and I care about my local community more than a cheap deal on some plastic item that will break after 3 months. My rant is over and I will not post off topic anymore. Costco is not so bad, they givve full time and pay competitive pay to employees. They sell cheap because they do it in bulk and they don't make the place pleasant to the eye. White floors, walls and ceilings are too sterile anyway.

It used to be that buying American was enough, but now that greed has overcome so many in this country, it's more important to buy local and support your local businesses. walmart using local farmers is great, but they are doing this only to give you a little ammunition against those of us that know what they do to communities. One good thing with so many evil does not make them honorable nor does it convince me that they care about anything but the bottom line.

JD

WalMart is GREAT. This is capitalism at its very, very best. If those Ma-and-Pa stores were meant to stay in business, they would be competitive, but they are just so much wastepaper in the trashcan of history, like a full-service camera store in this digital world. Their business model is pretty damn good: I can get items and services there which are just not available elsewhere locally, and I live in a fairly big city, Richmond, Virginia.

I do object to their selling items made in China but, for the most part, I do not buy items made in Communist countries so this is an easy thing for me to avoid. Castrol oil at 2/3 what is charged at the car parts places. Electronics at less than 2/3.

I know several dozen WalMart employees, and all are delighted to work there. I have never heard a WalMart employee gripe about the conditions of their employment.

What you are railing at, of course, is a greater change in the economic patterns of the West. Well, I will rail against the advent of digital, and you can rail against WalMart, but we are both, in the end, railing against the same thing. Times change, and we either change with them or we get trampled by that runaway cattle herd.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!