[rollei_list] OT: Voigtlander VF101 and other pocketable 35's

  • From: Matthew Phillips/HSC/VCU <mlphilli@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:35:42 -0400

I know it's off the current Rollei 35 theme, but does anyone here have
experience with the Voigtlander VF101 - a cousin, I believe, of the Zeiss
Ikon Contessa 312. I've come across one online, and am tempted to buy, but
have  no idea if batteries are still available or how reliable the
early-seventies vintage electronics are likely to be.

Returning to the discussion at hand, I had a Rollei 35SE for about 5-6
years. As much as I appreciated its optics and it's deliberate operation,
I've never owned a camera so prone to shutter problems. In the years before
I unloaded it, it made a trip to Marflex and two more to Harry Fleenor for
dragging and sticking shutter speeds between 2-8 sec. Perhaps mine was just
a lemon, but I never ventured back into the Rollei 35 fold. These days if I
want to shoot with a classic pocket-sized 35 I reach instead for a fifties
vintage folder like my Agfa Karat, or more recently, Voigtlander Vitessa.
Neither are as small or light weight as the Rollei, to be sure, but still
slip easily into a jacket pocket, with speedier lenses and coupled
rangefinders. I've not had the Vitessas very long, but after a CLA, the
Karat has been dead reliable.

Regards,
Matthew Phillips