[rollei_list] Re: OT: Vinyl and CD's

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:44:37 -0500

Hi Thor,

This really depends on a lot of factors.  Of course, how good the resultant
recording is, has a LOT to do with the ability to play it back
"successfully".  With CDs, I find a very very large difference in quality of
recording between them.  Sometimes, it amazes me.  One of my favorite
producers is Baby Face.  He has a way with making the resultant recording
sound very open with pinpoint presence and a vast soundstage.  Another
favorite of mine, for musicians, is Ponty.  It's hit or miss with his
releases though.  A few songs/passages from Live at Cheney Park are
exceptional IMO, though I've heard some complain they don't like that
recording.

Unfortunately, no matter how good the medium is, anyone can make a mess of
it...  Keep in mind, people think MP-3s sound good.  Sigh.

Another big issue is CD playback equipment, namely the D/A converter.  I
find that all but the very top end D/As just don't sound as good as the
material on CD is capable of.  IOW, it really takes some money to get the
best out of a really good CD.  My choice of CD players is an ML39 - direct
drive into the amp.  I've A/Bd many many many...and the ML39 is
significantly better than any other that I've heard, especially with the amp
(tube) and speakers that I have.  They are all carefully matched...which was
very critical in getting a sound I wanted.  I don't have the golden ears I
used to have some decade ago, unfortunately.

Regards,

Austin