[rollei_list] Re: OT: Vinyl and CD's

  • From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:08:14 -0600

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's not what I'm talking about.

I know that's not what you were talking about.  But why should I be
confined to your view of the topic, when I have my own opinions?

In any event, the idea that things were built better and made to last
longer in the past is true in some cases, and not others.  It
certainly is not true for automobiles.

If you compare the durability and reliability, efficiency and safety
of a 1950 car, or a 1965 car, with one made today, there is simply no
comparison.  I recall when you had to get a tune up every 3-4,000
miles and as I said before, most cars back then were shot if they
could even reach 100,000 miles.

As for cameras, I love old cameras just as I love old cars and old
everything else.  But while yesterday's mechanical camera was built
like a tank, today's cameras have more capabilities.

Intelligent design should take into account both the functionality of
the product and the experience of using it- or, as the designers of
the Miata MX-5 called it, "the oneness between horse and rider."

That's why I applaud Leica for making an M-series digital camera.
Let's hope Nikon can do the same.  Wouldn't it be great to have a
digital SP?

Markets are constantly changing and this explains why so many great
cameras of the past have disappeared.  I used to visit the Deardorff
headquarters years ago here in Chicago.

When the catalog industry began to die here, it took down Kranzten
Studios.  The Kranzten auction put so many used Deardorffs up for sale
that it killed the market for new ones.

Jack Deardorff couldn't pay the bills and lost control of the company.
 Everything got sold at auction, including the brand name.  (Jack
tried to bid on some of his own stuff wearing a disguise, but
naturally people recognized him.)

So, Deardorff made a great product, but when people stopped buying it,
the company went under.  And this is true of many great products.

You can make an exception for something like the Nikon SP.  They could
have continued making rangefinders along side the F, but simply chose
not to do so.

That point is underscored by the new SPs they made a few years ago.