[rollei_list] Re: OT: Vinyl and CD's

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 19:57:38 +0100

That's not what I'm talking about. There's a name for that, it's called nostalgia.

What I'm talking about is quantifiable quality. Longevity. Design for reliable functionality, aesthetics and ergonomics/user friendliness.

I'm pretty sure people here (and elsewhere) know what I'm talking about, and it's not 'everything was better before'. It's 'we're sacrificing quality across the board in favour of convenience, and people's ability to identify (and appreciate) quality is the worse for it." The dumber/less informed the consumer, the better the situation for a company with something to sell... Not that I'm claiming anything like that could happen here.

Thor

On 5. mars. 2009, at 18.33, David Sadowski wrote:

This notion that things are not as good as they used to be is not a
new phenomenon.  If you look back in history, you'll see that this is
a common perception.

There are many things today that we consider "classic," that were not
well appreciated in their own time.  Fact is, the passage of time
gives us a perspective that is impossible to achieve otherwise.

When bebop was new, there were many who thought it was just noise.
Think of all the rock records or movies you like today that were
panned when first reviewed.

In his own time, the author Herman Melville was considered a failure,
and Moby-Dick somewhat of a disappointment.  Van Gogh sold maybe one
painting in his lifetime.

In any era, we are surrounded by things that in future will be
considered classic.