[rollei_list] Re: OT: Vinyl and CD's

  • From: jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei list <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 05:33:44 +0000 (UTC)

Marc,    Porky's phrase is actually a paraphrase of something an early Mormon
prophet said:

In June of 1840, Snow declared, "As man is, God once was; as God is, man may
become."

I remember the quote from a Comparative Religion class...

I remember seeing a few 45rpm decks in cars.

 >Wel, I got a ride once from Porky Chedwick, the
 >iconic DJ who coined the phrase, "as you are, I
 >was;  as I am, you, too, someday shall be".  This
 >was in 1966.  He had a 45 rpm turntable in his
 >car.  Only such rig I have ever seen.  Look up his Wikipedia
 >article.
 >
 >Pittsburgh rules!
 >
 >Marc
 >
 >     Here is a curiosity, Philips developed an automotive
 >player for 45s. This might well have been what your friend
 >had. I vaguely remember reading a paper on it in some
 >journal, perhaps a Philips house magazine or perhaps the
 >Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, I rather think the
 >latter. In any case the thing was a failure, since there was
 >no good way of stabilizing it. I think this project is what
 >led Philips into developing the cartridge player.
 >     There are few ideas one can think of that are not in
 >some old patent somewhere.

Ah!  No, Porky didn't try to play 45's while
driving through the US Pothole Capital.  From May
through October, he was in constant demand as a
DJ at open-air parties, and he would hook up the
speakers he carried in his trunk and back seat
and spin disks with an audio voice-over while the
kids came over to the car to shake his hand.  He
was, and is, a national treasure.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!