[rollei_list] OT: The Dark Side and Flash

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 00:22:51 -0400

Well, my fears were only fears. The Rebel T1i works quite nicely with a variety of flashes, though, of course, only on the flash's internal circuitry. For instance, my Metz 45CL4 will provide TTVL (through the viewing lens) metering with the SCA 356 adapter on my Rolleiflex 2.8GX, and a neat job it is. On the Canon Rebel, with the PC cord and adapter, it has no interface with the camera other than synch but the flash is mighty sophisticated in its own right. The same works with the Vivitar 283 -- no camera interface but a sophisticated workhorse of a flash.

One great virtue of a digital camera is that you can do a quick test shot and establish the best settings for a given environment.before you make the critical exposure.

Flash on digital is even more of a money pit than it is with film, but, fortunately, I do very little flash work, so what I have will do me for the time being. But I could easily drop $1,000 without blinking an eye.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!