[rollei_list] Re: OT: Stereo Photography

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:50:11 -0400

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 5:50 AM, John Wild wrote: (snipped)
> Eric,

> The one that suddenly came to mind
> was a 360 degree stereo effect - the viewer was right in the center of the
> 'image' which was above, below, left, right and behind you - floating in
> space. Totally amazing. Looking at the website this may be what they refer
> to as 4D.

Hi John -

I have heard about Futuroscope but have not gone... the particular
display you mention above is an example of extreme window violation,
where everything in presented in front of the stereo window. Careful
control of divergence is required, and as you did not mention
discomfort, apparently the image makers were successful at breaking
one of the "rules" the old timers referenced in one of your previous
posts, and breaking it in the extreme!

> Your reference to sharing some of my stereo images, I am happy to do so -
> but I don't think they are very good, my Heidoscope suffered from slight
> light leaks which I have now cured with new light trapping - but they are
> mounted transparencies so how do I share them? Can they be scanned and
> reassembled at the end of the wire?

Yes scanned and displayed side by side either cross-eyed or parallel.
Here are some examples (some of which are not very good):

http://www.stereoscopy.com/gallery/index.html

Eric Goldstein