[rollei_list] Re: OT St Patricks day

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:52:47 -0400

At 06:16 PM 3/17/2010, Laurence Cuffe wrote:
>My source for this is the Chatholic encylopedia, among other sources,
>and refers to him being instrumental in defining March 17th as St
>Patricks day while he was a member of a Roman Breviary reform commission

I concede that a Catholic Encyclopaedia would be unwilling to acknowledge that the Churches of Ireland and England had been honoring St Patrick for centuries <he grins>. Again, his feast day is noted in the early Books of Common Prayer, both that of 1549 and the later one of 1562, and also by Archbishop Laud in his revisions in the 1630's, which became the ordinal for the Church of Scotland of the era and the basis for the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church of the United States.

The Irish communities in Liverpool and north Wales were recorded as celebrating St Patrick's Day shortly after Elizabeth came to the throne, and they may have done so earlier under Bloody Mary.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!