[rollei_list] Re: (OT) Rilex Press Cameras

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Rollei List" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:26:00 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:10 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: (OT) Rilex Press Cameras

Richard

Jerry was speaking of a different RF system used on the
Rolleiflex TLR's.  The one he mentions used two converging
light beams.  You brought the two dots together on the
victim ... er, target .. and then your camera was set at
the proper distance.  Quite a neat idea but more trouble,
I suspect, than it was worth.

Marc

     That's how the Kalart worked.  It was an adoption
of the Kalart Focuspot feature which was also
available for the press camera version.  On those there was
a small door or port on the top of the unit where a lamp and
lens assembly could be placed. This assembly had a sort of
bayonet on it that fastened into the port.  It was connected
to the flashgun for power and used as you describe. When
turned on it would project two beams of light onto the
victim. The spots were brought into co-incidence to find the
focus and were very approximately centered in the field of
view. One could shoot in very dim light with this
arrangement and flash light.  The idea for the Rollei was
also dim light focusing rather than as a general use device.
The base of those I've seen appears to be made of metal and
the batteries fitted into it.  There may be an instruction
book at http://www.graflex.org  There is a book for the
regular Kalart but I am not sure if there is another for
this one.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles