[rollei_list] Re: OT: RF vs SLR for 35mm

  • From: Frederic Fichter <ffichter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:22:30 +0100

If you sell your FM2 you might regret it.
I've picked up some rangefinders (Olympus XA, Konica Auto S2) as I couldn't resist the urge to join the RF bandwagon a few years ago.

But really, there's nothing like my FM2.
I have only three lenses for it :
28mm AIS f2.8
50mm AIS f1.8
105mm f2.5
all cheap second-hand items.

For street work, the 28mm rocks :
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm

Fred Fichter Web : http://homepage.mac.com/ffichter

On Nov 17, 2005, at 2:04 PM, Thor Legvold wrote:

I bought a Nikon FM2 a few years back while working for a newspaper, I wanted something robust and reliable, and the optical quality was not important (it was a newspaper, after all) so I picked up a cheapo Sigma 28-210mm zoom. The system was perfect for what I needed, mechanical, reliable, one lens to cover everything.

However, the lens is falling apart, and I'd like better image quality when shooting 35 than what I'm getting. Also, being light and/or inconspicuous is a plus. It's lighter than the Rollei, but I'm wondering how much smaller/lighter a RF setup would be.

So my options boil down to getting a new lens or three for the Nikon (they made a *lot* of lenses through the years, but I'm sure I could find a nice set that would cover most everything if I searched the net for a while), or selling it and picking up a RF.