[rollei_list] OT: RF vs SLR for 35mm

  • From: Jan Decher <jan.decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:26:05 -0800

Thor:

I think your hunch with the Bessa R2 is a good one.  Why not try it?  If
you catch the RF bug you can always add a new or used Leica later using the
same lenses.

If you shoot mostly chromes I would avoid starting with an old Leica LTM or
M - as much as I sympathize with Marc's suggestion the classic Leica IIIc
because I also like the looks and feel of LTM Leicas. Same can be said for
older Contax IIa, Retina or classic Voigtlaneder Prominent and Vitessas.

A newer Leica M6 or M7 would give you the chrome metering accuracy but at a
hefty price. The forthcoming Zeiss Ikon body may be a compromise between
Leica poshness and Cosina-Voigtlander economics.

 Then again the new Voigtaenders look quite attractive and intuitive to use
(not really a big switch ergonomically from the Nikon FM2 since they are
based on a similar mechanical SLR).
I am currently debating myself if I should have an early M3 reconditioned
for $300+ and find a better used or new standard lens for it ($350+) or
sell it and spend the $$ on a Bessa R3A with the attractive 1.4/40mm (see:
http://www.photovillage.com/html/voigtlander.html)
The latter would certainly give more consistent results for chromes.

Let us know what you decide.
Jan

======I've never actually used a RF system, but having done research recently
for some friends (I ended up recommending the Bessa R2 to them) I'm
more and more curious. Maybe a Bessa would be nice for me too, with a
lens or three. Small, light, compact, quiet. No offense to the Leica
crowd, but I really don't see what all the fuss is about, either they
cost a fortune (M6) or they're so old and quirky that the handling
suffers (i.e. film loading, shutter leaking light, etc).

But then again, I don't know. Never used a Leica. I can't afford one
anyway, and my main question was what are the main strengths and
weaknesses of SLR vs RF? What will I gain/miss for casual snaps, taking
pictures on walks or when travelling light? I shoot Kodachrome 64
pretty much exclusively when in 35mm. Maybe some B&W now and then.

Looking forward to opinionated opinions :-)

Sorry this was OT.

Cheers,
Thor