[rollei_list] Re: OT: RF vs SLR for 35mm

  • From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:27:58 +0000 (GMT)

I have far more cameras than sense, which does at
least qualify me to pass judgement on various options:

SLR - there are actually quite a few options here.
Firstly, AF SLRs - second-hand ones are now incredibly
cheap, often in the £20-30 mark on ebay in the UK for
the small, light variety. I have a Canon EOS 300
(Rebel something-or-other) that makes a very versatile
and lightweight outfit with 28, 50 and 135mm primes.
Next, manual-focus SLRs with electronics (and thus
auto exposure) - my favourite lightweight camera here
is the Contax 137 (also 167 and Aria, but not as
light) - excellent camera with superb lenses that is
very cheap these days. Other options - Nikon FE or
FE2, Olympus OM2, OM4 - the Nikons are a touch bigger
(same size as the FM series), the Olympuses a little
quirky - but the OM4 has an excellent spotmeter which
can be worth its weight in gold.
Finally, mechanical/manual SLRs - the FM/FM2, Olympus
OM1, Pentax MX. My personal favourite is the Pentax -
both it and the Olympus feel smoother than the
somewhat agricultural Nikons, as well as being smaller
and lighter. The MX with 40mm pancake is particularly
compact. All are nice options.

Rangefinders: well, there are quite a few options
these days. My two favourites are the Bessa R2 and the
Leica CL - I scarcely use my Leica M6 or Bessas L and
T, as the Leica is heavier than I need, the Bessa L
too horribly plastic and impractical (no viewfinder or
rangefiner, but it's fine for it's designed job as
being a body dedicated to exreme wideangles) and the T
isn't as solid as the R2, and doesn't have a
viewfinder. The R2 is a very solid and competant
machine, and I love the CL for its smaller size and
the superb 40mm Summicron-C.

Other options: there are several compact cameras that
are potentially interesting: the Leica Minilux, Rollei
35 and Olympus XA and Mju II/Stylus Epic - all nice
cameras that can do a very capable job - also several
I have no experience of, such as the Contax T series.
And then there's the Contax G series cameras -
fabulous lenses, I personally don't get on with the
cameras, but if you do, possibly the best option of
all.

So, what would I go for? Perhaps a Rolleicord? ;)

Nick

Yahoo! Model Search 2005 - Find the next catwalk superstars -
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hot/model-search/