[rollei_list] Re: OT: RF vs SLR for 35mm

  • From: Jayanand Govindaraj <jgovindaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:37:29 +0530

Thor,
Let me add my two bits. I have used Nikon SLR cameras (FG, F2, F3, F100, D70) for the last 30 years. I bought some Leica RF cameras that were going cheap at an estate sale, with a variety of lenses, both LTM and M mounts. I found the Leica IIIf very cumbersome and fiddly to use, and then my second hand dealer offerred me a mint Canon 7, which is a joy to use, and I think the best body for LTM mount. I think that their lenses for this mount is better than Leica's of the same period - no scratches, no fogging, etc. I also got a M3 in the mix. It is a beautifully made camera, which is lovely to hold - but I can still manual focus and shoot much, much quicker with my Nikon F2 or F3. Maybe I am just used to the method, but it is no contest, really. The one use that I find the RF cameras way ahead is low light, available light photography - I can shoot the M3 at 1/15 sec with no problems. I would seriously advise you to buy a few lenses for the FM2, and test out rangefinders buying an relatively inexpensive body - Minolta, Canon or Bessa, and buy an old 35mm or 50mm lens. Remember that virtually all Leica lenses of the 50s would require a CLA.
Cheers
Jayanand

Thor Legvold wrote:

Aha, the scientific approach :-)

What jobs are RFs proper for?

What jobs are SLRs proper for?

Thor

On 17 Nov, 2005, at 19:03, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

Thor and RUG,

Use the proper tools for the specific job.

HOWEVER there has been great progress in "chemical photography":

I can now do equivalent quality work with a Leica and a Nikon F2
as I did with a Rolleiflex  or Medalist 50 years ago.

I can now do work of equivalent quality with my 2.8 Rollei F and
my Hasselblad than I did with a 4x5 Graphic or studio camera 50
years ago.

Lenses are better, film is better, enlarging equipment is better.

Or have my eyesight and standards been slipping?  Nah!

Jerry

--- Rollei List

--- Rollei List