[rollei_list] Re: OT: RF vs SLR for 35mm

  • From: Peter J Nebergall <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:03:02 -0600

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:22:30 +0100 Frederic Fichter <ffichter@xxxxxxx>
writes:
> If you sell your FM2 you might regret it.
> I've picked up some rangefinders (Olympus XA, Konica Auto S2) as I
> couldn't resist the urge to join the RF bandwagon a few years ago.
>
> But really, there's nothing like my FM2.
> I have only three lenses for it :
> 28mm AIS f2.8
> 50mm AIS f1.8
> 105mm f2.5
> all cheap second-hand items.

For small and adaptable, when I'm not carrying my old Contaxes, I use
Canon 7s, with 35mm 1.8, 50mm f2 Nikon (in screw mount!) and 85mm f2.
They're great wedding cameras, tiny alongside the d-series Nikons in
fashion at the j-school...

I use FEs with MD12 drives and Nikon zooms (28-85 and 80-200) for sports,
and find the Rollei excels at portrait, because, along with its calming
"quaintness" (it looks, like my Contaxes, too old to be
intimidating)("yes this IS your grandfather's camera... so what!") it is
quiet -- and, again, lighter and less obvious than a D2.

The kiddies WANT to be obvious; in their culture it is so important to
LOOK the part, or else you really aren't one...

Try the Canon 7s.  There are so many out there I must be the only one
using them.

Peter Nebergall