[rollei_list] Re: OT: Miscellany

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:26:06 -0400

At 04:53 PM 9/10/2007, eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Wow, and I bet we listen to the same radio, and read the same papers - LOL!
>I wasn't talking about the pols... I did say "half a brain", I meant
>"At least half a brain."

Well, you do have a way with words!

I doubt that we listen to the same radio stations or read the same newspapers. But I am politically involved and do know what was going on in the ramp-up to the Iraq War. In the political spectrum, George H W Bush and George W Bush are moderate leftists who accept an interventionist role for government -- George H W Bush lost in 1992 primarily because the Republican rank-and-file, those little old ladies in Tennis Shoes who worked the polls for the GOP, stayed home after he signed the Family Leave Act and the like.

The core of Republican Party leadership strongly advised against intervention in either Afghanistan or Iraq as no vital US national interest was at play. The advice of most of these folks was to start a dialogue in the Middle East which included a US distancing of its policy from a blind support of Israel. Bush was unwilling to do this, and so we ended up with a war unwinnable unless we are willing to blindly kill thousands of civilians who may or may not be involved in any hostile activities. The US rather stupidly bought into the Nuremburg Doctrine which includes a ban on "collective guilt" and thus forbids mass retaliation against the populace of recalcitrant territories.

My take? Dump Israel. The Arabs loved the US in 1945. Let's get back there again. Let's work for energy independence: adopt a flat $5 a gallon tax on imported gasoline. Open up ANWR. (No, I do not advocate shooting Green folks, but I would certainly ignore them on this point.) Open up all of the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Littoral to gas and oil exploitation with appropriate safeguards. Open up shale oil deposits -- I would exempt oil so derived from that $5 a gallon tax, of course, as it is internally generated. Once we have energy independence, then we can ignore the Middle East and can be a friend to everyone.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!